Saturday, January 2, 2010

My 2009

In 2009....

- I began subbing for Tulsa Public and found out that subs do not have easy jobs.

- Jake transferred to Wal-Mart in Tulsa.

- We helped Sierra and Jerad move and paint their new home.

- I got a long term sub position at Addams Elementary School. I was covering for Susan Henderson while she was on maternity. It was a fifth grade class. I taught reading and social studies. Man, that was a learning experience! The biggest thing I learned was that it is important to balance the "I'm a person you can trust and talk to" teacher side with the "I am an adult and you will respect me" teacher side.

- We joined First Baptist Church Tulsa and began to enjoy ourselves in our lifegroup.

- I went with FBC to San Antonio on a spring break trip chaperoning 5th, 6th and 7th graders.

- Jake spent a lot of time looking for, applying and interviewing at various jobs in Tulsa. None of which gave him a job.

- My 8 weeks at Addams was up and I left to regular subbing.

- Two weeks after leaving, I got a call back from Addams. The other 5th grade teacher had to leave and the principal asked if I could cover his class for the rest of the year.

- We began to think about taking advantage of the first time home buyers tax credit of $8000.

- Jake broke his foot while bowling. Only my husband! This put him out of work for 6 weeks.

- My principal offered me a prek position at Addams for the 2009-2010 school year! My first teaching job!

- I began making friends with my new colleagues.

- I watched my fifth graders graduate elementary school and see how nervous they were about middle school.

- I worked at FBC Day Camp. I was a counselor for the kindergarten class.

- We toured a model home in Sand Springs, OK and feel in love with the idea.

- We went down to Dallas, TX to see my cousin graduate from High School. It was fun to catch up with family and just have time away.

- After a few weeks of talking and prayer, we decided to build a home in Sand Springs.

- I went to Literacy First Phase 1 training and Great Expectations Methodology classes.

- We watched our foundation being poured and the frame go up!

- Jake finally got released to go back to work.

- I spent way to much money on my classroom and began to make it my own.

- Jake continued to look for jobs outside of Wal-Mart.

- I survived my first day of school and from that I knew I would be ok.

- I began to become very good friends with my colleagues, began the residency process and how learned just how hard teaching can be.

- I started studying the book of John at Bible Studies Foundations.

- I realized I love my students and my job.

- We continued to watch our house go up. We made choices on colors, carpets, layout, stained concrete, door style, fireplace location, lights, appliance, cabinets and many others!

- For the first time, we didn't have to live paycheck to paycheck and had good health insurance.

- I realized how necessary school breaks are for both teachers and students.

- I learned that schools have politics. A lot of politics. Luckily, I had good friends to help me learn how to avoid as much of this as possible and how to play the game.

- We went to Tahlequah for Homecoming and enjoyed visiting Bob and Deb, Mike and Danielle, other friends and our old church!

- We closed on our home, moved in and unpacked all in one weekend.

- We went to Broken Bow, OK to visit my Granny and family for Thanksgiving.

- Jake got a different position at Wal-Mart that he enjoys much more.

- We decorated our home and celebrated our second Christmas.

And through the whole year...

- We saw God working in our lives and our families and friends.

- We continued to grow in our relationship with each other. We realized marriage was something you always had to work on and communicate about.

- We had some fights and we learned and grew from them!

- I missed some old friends, gained some more and grew in my relationship with others.


For 2010...

- We will see what happens...

- My one main resolution is to get healthy! I am calorie counting, eating healthier and trying to be more active. Hopefully, I will stay motivated and continue to work toward this.

I hope your 2010 is all that you hope for!

1 comment:

Miss Davis said...

What a year! I love being able to take a chance and reflect on things. It makes me excited about what all is to come this year as well! I'm glad to count you among one of my friends and colleagues as well. :) Enjoy your day off tomorrow!